Friday, June 11, 2010

To Live Shall Be An Awfully Big Adventure

I don't really get it, but somehow I am leaving for the United States tomorrow after having spent an entire semester in Scotland. Somehow that is happening tomorrow, and that is so strange. But stranger yet is that somehow, I'm ready for it.

There will always be a part of me that is off wandering the hills of bonnie Scotland. And it is more than content to stay there. I know there are still so many places I would have loved to go that did not make it into my repertoire of world travel. But they're on the list. And I'm not finished yet. If I had done everything I wanted to do I'd have no reason to come back. Believe me, I'll be back.

It's also a little bit scary. I know that along with all of the hugs and "I missed you's" and "How was it's," awaiting my return is a difficult transition back into a life that not so long ago was all I knew, and that now feels as unreal as a dream I can't remember.

It's time though. Time to go home.


Postscript: As I was writing this I got an e-mail from Kelsey. She forwarded me a quote from Storypeople that reads, "carries a lot of suitcases but all of them are empty because she's expecting to completely fill them with life by the end of this trip & then she'll come home & sort everything out & do it all again." Yeah, I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment