I hate New Year's Resolutions. I never make them. I mean, I totally get it. Fresh start, makin' some changes, tryin' some new things, self-improvement. That's great. But of all three hundred sixty-five days in the year, what fraction of those is spent thinking about one's resolutions? How much talk of commitments made way back in January does one hear in April, July, October? I cannot remember a single December 31st during which I thought to myself, "Hey! I made it! I stuck with it and here I am, resolution resolved and ready to show some more resolutions who's boss again this year." I am not a fan of New Year's Resolutions.
That being said, this year I have two.
I'm hesitant to even call them New Year's Resolutions 1.) because they are both things I would have committed to any time of year, they just happened to sneak to the front of my mind around the beginning of 2011, and 2.) because I am prideful and if I call them New Year's Resolutions then I can no longer say I never make New Year's Resolutions.
But that's what they are. They're New Year's Resolutions. One is easy, and one is hard.
The Easy One:
I know a lot of really great people and am blessed with the inability to go anywhere on Hope's campus without seeing someone I know and love. However, I want to know these people MORE. This year I am going to be intentional about sharing time with people and conversing with them and learning about them. I am excited to be reminded why I love the people in my life so much and to discover new reasons as to why they are so wonderful and how I am lucky to know them.
The Hard One:
I am going to floss my teeth. Man, every time I go to the dentist, they tell me I have such healthy teeth. I've never had a cavity. But I dread the question, and it comes every time: "Mary, do you floss."
"Uh, haha, no."
"You really should floss your teeth."
"... I know."
I have my next check-up in July and when the dental hygienist asks me if I floss my teeth, baby it's gonna be a YES!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment